As an educator, you know the importance in continuing your education to stay up-to-date and increase student learning. We provide the opportunity to expand or enhance your knowledge through a variety of professional development courses and workshops while earning CEUs or academic credit.
Browse our general education course catalog to review the full list of continuing education offerings covering subjects such as:
- Earth Science
- Computer Programming
- NGSS (Next Generation Science Standards)
- Science and Lego Robotics
- Robotics and Integrated Math and more
Working in partnership with Merced County Office of Education, we offer the opportunity to earn CEUs while expanding your horizons. We also work with other districts to offer continuing education opportunities.
The following is the anticipated schedule for 2018-2019. Download the flyer
For questions regarding the following offerings, contact: Rosanna Ayers | Science and STEM Coordinator | MCOE | 209-381-5971
- Project WET (Water Education for Teachers) hosted by the Atwater Elementary School District
August 1, 2018
- Engineering is Elementary (EIE): Solar Oven
September 21, 2018
- Argument-Driven Inquiry (ADI): Matter
October 5, 2018
- Engineering is Elementary (EIE): Bridges
November 2, 2018
- Argument-Driven Inquiry (ADI): Motion and Stability
December 7, 2018
- Engineering is Elementary (EIE): Maglev
January 25, 2019
- Argument-Driven Inquiry (ADI): Energy
February 19, 2019
- Engineering is Elementary (EIE): Knee Braces
March 29, 2019
- Argument-Driven Inquiry (ADI): Waves
April 3, 2019
- Engineering is Elementary (EIE): Submersibles
May 10, 2019
- Project WET (Water Education for Teachers): Spring TBD
- Lego Education 3-day Series: TBD
- Education and the Environment Initiative: TBD (1 Day K-5, 1 Day 6-12)
District Professional Development
Extension's Education Programs will provide district professional development for P-12 educators in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) to facilitate their transition to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and their integration with the California Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for Mathematics, English Language Arts and Literacy in History/Social Science, Science, and Technical Subjects. These opportunities for professional development may result in CEUs or academic credit, depending on the district and course content.
If your district is interested in professional development, please contact Lynn Reimer, Director of Education Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org | 209-228-UNEX (8639).
Professional development programs wishing to offer participants CEUs, may partner with UC Merced Extension to do so.
One (1) semester CEU is equivalent to 10 hours. A $40 fee per unit covers administrative costs.
Professional development programs wishing to offer academic credit can propose a course to UC Merced Extension.
One (1) semester academic credit is equivalent to 15 hours (classroom lecture), 45 hour academic course formats (workshops, reading, research, lesson design, classroom implementation, etc.) or any combination, all of which are embedded with performance assessments. Academic professional development courses in the discipline of education are $150 per unit, or $450 for a 3 unit.